Friday, July 16, 2010

[READING] I LOVE YOUR STYLE

I am currently reading [I LOVE YOUR STYLE] by Amanda Brooks. I will write more posts as I progress through, but I just wanted to share with you the forward by [Diane Von Furstenberg], a woman who I have so much personal admiration for. I started reading this book standing in the Anthropology store in NYC's [Chelsea Market]. I got so enthralled in it that I had read 8 pages in the store without even looking up. It made me think about he way I design for the SW woman, & the fact that there is not just one style. But something that we pride ourselves on at SW is designing accessories for all types of style, what we hope our accessories do is provide confidence for woman to experiment, define, refine, embrace & even re-invent their own personal style. Personal style goes beyond fashion. It is how you feel in your skin when you wear clothes a certain way. Clothing can determine your mood or confidence for the day, it can make you uncomfortable when you do not feel you have found your own style, or even more frustrating if you know what your style is but struggle to compose it in your everyday dress. At 28 years of age, I combine my love of fashion with my love of creating - & in the morning rather then ask myself 'what do I want to wear today?' I ask myself 'Who do I want to be today?'. Personal style is a huge part of who you are, it is accepting who you are, & in the words of Ralph Waldo Emerson - 'Insist on yourself, never imitate'. - SW


I LOVE YOUR STYLE - By Amanda Brookes
Forward by Diana Von Furstenberg;
What is style? It is an effortless confidence in being yourself, it is a way of putting yourself toegther according to your mood and what you want to project. Personal style appears to come naturally for some, but for others it can take a while to find it!
I grew up in Belgium as an odd duck - with curly dark hair when everyone else had blond straight hair. I hated the way I looked, but slowly I realised that the thing I hated most could actually be an asset, because it was me! Finding my own style was about accepting and liking myself... it was not always an easy process, but it was the only one.
Amanda Brooke was born, bred and raised in style! She's experimented with it as a child, as a teenager, and soon she became a real pro. She has a true eye and natural instinct for understanding fashion. She loves design, relates with designers, and has been a muse to many. I love her style because it is easy & effortless; her walk, her allure is confident and light; it is never forced. Fashion is a mysterious thing to express, but if anyone is qualified to write a book on style, Amanda is. She has the unique talent of sensing trends, feeling the moment, and knowing what to mix with what. This book is fun, informative & very clever. I am sure it will inspire many & reassure others.
After all, style is something each of us already has -all we to do is find it. - Diane Von Furstenberg



No comments:

Post a Comment