Saturday, April 3, 2010

[INSPIRATION] MOSAIC

To me mosaics are more then just decorative art displayed through a plethora of tesserae stuck to a wall. Each time I travel I am incoherently drawn to the cultural and spiritual significance behind each design and often stand in wonder at the capabilities of how a simple tile display can enrich its surroundings in living ceramic colour. Nothing has quite taken my breath away like the mosaics in the Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore in Rome but my favourite is the subway station of the Museum of Natural History in New York which covers the stairs and platforms. I love how the creatures of the design are evoked in vignettes that punctuate the stretches of the white tiled wall that millions of people rush through each day, probably only just entering their subconscious - SW


[CHECK OUT WHAT ELSE IS ON SAMANTHA'S INSPIRATION BOARD]

No comments:

Post a Comment